Friday 1 January 2016

Papayas and Ministry


" I sent you to reap for that which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors" John 4:38

This papaya tree sprouted in our backyard without anyone planting it.... One day I walked out the back door and there it was, growing.  It was the funniest and strangest thing.  As soon as I saw it, two years ago, I knew it would be featured on this blog at some point, because I knew it would eventually teach me a lesson.  This is the first year the tree gives fruit and boy, oh boy, are we excited.  It boggles my mind how this tree has grown and is now bearing fruit.  I didn't plant it, I didn't water it, and yet I am about to enjoy some yummy papaya shakes as soon as the fruit ripens.  

In the same way, God has opened a door.  I have been invited to move to Mexico and partake of the beginning of a new and wonderful ministry.  Come February/March, God willing, I will be moving to Baja California and become part of "Horizonte Global".  A ministry dedicated to train and equip local churches to fulfill the great commission of making disciples worldwide :)  We will train individuals that feel called to do missionary work, lead them in short-term mission trips, as well as train their local churches on what it means to send and support missionaries (both short-term and long-term).  The goal is to plant and establish churches worldwide in order to reach unreached people groups. 

The "crazy" part about this story, is that I did not go looking for this opportunity.  I had been praying about what to do after December.  A few options had come up and I was considering them; then, out of nowhere, a pastor friend of mine calls me up and offers me to become a part of Horizonte Global... "say what?!" I am very humbled and honored to go.  I know the church there has been laboring incessantly to bring this ministry about, and as I go join them I am very aware that God is sending me to reap that which I have not labored for, but He wants me to enjoy, that I may rejoice with those that have labored as well.

"Do you not say, 'There are still four months and then comes the harvest'?  Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest!  And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together." (John 4:35-36)

No comments:

Post a Comment