Monday 11 July 2011

Lesson Learned

So I am reading this mammoth of a book called: "Church History in Plain Language" by Bruce L. Shelley. I haven't made up my mind yet as to whether I like it or not but I read this very interesting quote yesterday that I've decided is worth sharing. The context of this quote is the rapid growth of Christianity in the first two centuries.

I will highlight the parts that really struck me.

"The Event had happened. God had invaded time and Christians were captivated by the creative power of that grand news. They knew that men had been redeemed and they could not keep to themselves the tidings of salvation. That unshakable assurance, in the face of every obstacle including martyrdom itself, helps explain the growth of the church."
-p. 35
I will let that sink in: the conviction, the assurance, the joy... All of the emotions that the language may arouse in our minds and spirits. May we continue to boldly step out in the truth that resides in us. I pray that the remembrance of the cloud of witness around us may inspire us and set our hearts ablaze, totally surrendered to Him- unafraid of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment